The main app trends of 2014, according to The App Annie Index 2014 Retrospective:
- Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and Facebook were the most downloaded apps of 2014, worldwide and in the UK.
- Match.com was the top UK App in terms of UK revenue, followed by Skype.
- Google Play apps were downloaded more, but iOS generated over 70% more yearly app revenue than Google Play.
- Revenue from the iOS App Store was approximately 2.9x Google Play revenue for 2014 in the United Kingdom.
- Yearly combined iOS and Google Play revenue in the United Kingdom grew by approximately 30% in 2014.
- Yearly combined iOS and Google Play downloads in the United Kingdom grew by approximately 5% in 2014.
- The top 10 travel and transportation apps grew by over 30% in downloads, driven by ride-sharing businesses like Uber.
- Japan, South Korea and the US collectively generated more revenue than the rest of the world combined.
- The mobile video streaming app category, which includes companies like Netflix, grew by 44%.
The full report can be downloaded from http://blog.appannie.com.