Research conducted to mark the launch of the first ever Amazon Launchpad Sustainability Accelerator highlights the value of sustainability to start-ups at a time when investors are paying more attention than ever to the subject.
Key findings include:
- startups with a strong sustainability profile can attract a 16% higher valuation from investors;
- 70% of early-stage investors are requesting more detail on the sustainability strategy of startups before they decide to invest;
- 83% of investors want to invest in more environmentally sustainable startups in the next 12 months;
- 85% believe startups perform better in the long-term if they have sustainability built into their business models from the outset;
- 59% of early-stage investors in Europe have declined an investment opportunity in the last year due to sustainability concerns.
The Amazon Launchpad Sustainability Accelerator, delivered in partnership with EIT Climate-KIC, the EU’s climate innovation initiative, has grown out of Amazon Launchpad , which since 2015 has supported the launch of over 2,200 startups in Europe.
It is based at Amazon’s London HQ and will help 12 start-ups, chosen out of 1,200 applications, to grow and scale their businesses through a support package worth more than £30,000, including an equity-free grant; AWS Activate Credits and Amazon Advertising credits; expert mentorship; a tailored curriculum; and strategic account support.
All Accelerator participants will complete a Climate Impact Assessment by Impact Forecast to help ensure their products are quantifiably more sustainable than existing solutions.